Scheme Name:
Duck Irrigation Scheme
Volume:
5,200 ML
Irrigable Area:
26,890 ha
Communities:
Montagu, Stanley, Forest, Edith Creek, Irishtown
Status:
Detailed Design
Progress:
  • Tenders
  • Contract Award
  • Detailed Design
  • Dec 2016
  • Feb 2017
  • Apr 2017

The Duck Irrigation Scheme (DUCK) is a 5,200 megalitre (ML) scheme in the states north-west centered around the municipality of Smithton. The scheme will extract water from the Duck River and Mill Creek during the winter period and store it in the Mill Creek Dam. This water will be distributed to scheme participants during the summer irrigation period via a 61-kilometre underground pipeline network, facilitated by two pump stations, and utilising a section of the Duck River.


The district has a strong agricultural base with significant potential for producers to grow and diversify. The DUCK will assist in offsetting some recent economic declines for participants and assist in buffering the region against climate variability. Approximately 90% of the water from the scheme is expected to be applied to pasture based enterprises, such as dairying and livestock finishing, with the remaining 10% used for poppies, potatoes and other fresh vegetable production.


The DUCK will be an important economic driver in the region with direct benefits flowing to the larger population center of Smithton in addition to smaller regional communities such as Montagu, Stanley and Forest. Increased expenditure from scheme participants will also benefit contractors, agricultural suppliers and business service suppliers in addition to retail businesses within the local district.


Both contracts for the construction of the scheme have now been awarded with Shaw Contracting (Aust) Pty Ltd being successful on both.


The scheme is currently in the detailed design phase of development with early construction works commencing and remains on target for an inaugural irrigation season over the 2018-19 summer.

 

Overview / Pricing / Maps

Media / Forms / Contracts

Contact Information

  • Ian Jaeche (TI Project Manager) Phone 0428 101 353 ian.jaeche@tasirrigation.com.au
  • Harry Korpershoek (DIS Working Group member, Forest)
  • John Van Adrichem (DIS Working Group member, Togari)
  • Mike Buckby (DIS Working Group (Chair), Montagu)
  • Neil Innes-Smith (DIS Working Group member, Edith Creek)
  • John McNabb (DIS Working Group member, Rocky Cape. Circular Head Progress Group)
  • Tom Hofing (DIS Working Group member, Mawbanna)

Meetings

  • Water Sales Opening Wednesday 12th November 2014 0-0 Agritas, Smithton
  • Irrigation Workshop Sunday 16th November 2014 0-0 Agritas, Smithton
  • Individual Follow-up Meetings Monday 17th November 2014 0-0
  • Information Day Wednesday 26th November 2014 9:00am-4:00pm Tongari Hall, Tongari
  • Information Day Friday 5th December 2014 9:00am-4:00pm Circular Head Show, Stanley
  • Information Day Thursday 4th December 2014 9:00am-4:00pm Blackberry Inn, Forest
  • Individual Information Sessions Monday 8th December 2014 9:00am-4:00pm Agritas, Smithton

    Available for final contract questions/signing

  • Water Sales Close Tuesday 9th December 2014 9:00am-12:00pm Agritas, Smithton

    Available for final contract questions/signing

  • Water Sales 2nd Round Tuesday 16th June 2015 1:00pm-2:30pm Smithton Country Club
  • Information Session Monday 29th August 2016 12:30pm-2:00pm
  • Information Session Tuesday 21st February 2017 7:00pm-9:00pm