- Scheme Name:
- South East Stage 3 (Sorell) Irrigation Scheme
- 3,000 ML
- Irrigable Area:
- 5,780 ha
- Oct 2013
- Sep 2015
The Sorell Irrigation Scheme was commissioned in May 2015 and commenced initial operations on 1 October 2015 for the 2015-16 irrigation season.
The district services agricultural, horticultural and viticulture enterprises around the townships of Tea Tree, Campania, Orielton, Pawleena, Penna, Sorell and Forcett. Current production in the area includes cherries, apples, salad vegetables, wine grapes, apricots, olives and walnuts.
The scheme has the capacity to supply 6,000 ML of water over two delivery periods; 3,000 ML during a 180-day summer delivery period (October – March) and 3,000 ML during a 180-day winter delivery period (April – September). At this stage, only water entitlements relating to the summer delivery period have been offered for sale, with limited volumes remaining for purchase.
Water supplied in the district is sourced from the River Derwent at TasWater’s water treatment plant at Bryn Estyn near New Norfolk and transported by TasWater via the Box Hill Head Tanks and West Derwent Main to an off-take on the western side of the river near Granton.
From Granton, water is transported to the eastern side of the River Derwent via an underwater crossing to be constructed and on to the irrigation district via a 630 mm supply line. Delivery throughout the district is via a pipeline distribution network, with water pressurised at the Tea Tree Road Pump Station and boost pumps at Shrub End Road and Table Hill.
A holding dam near Rekuna with a capacity of 200 ML will support the reliability of supply by allowing the short term balancing of supply and demand during periods of peak urban water demand when TasWater’s ability to supply the district is restricted.
For further information please refer to the scheme overview which can be downloaded by clicking on the Docs/Forms/Contracts tab below.
Overview / Pricing / Maps
- Scheme Summary 2016-2017 Download PDF (347 KB)
- Scheme Overview Download PDF (1 MB)
- 2017-18 Water Charges Download PDF (538 KB)
- Frost risk -modelled Download PDF (1 MB)
- Rainfall - SEIS Stage 3 Download PDF (1 MB)
- Soils - SEIS Stage 3 Download PDF (4 MB)
- Growing Degree Days - SEIS Stage 3 Download PDF (1 MB)
- Radiation - SEIS Stage 3 Download PDF (1 MB)
Media / Forms / Contracts
- Contact Details Update Download PDF (117 KB)
- Peter Rand (Scheme Manager)
- Anthony Bayley (Irrigator Representative Committee, Chairperson)