Upper Ringarooma Irrigation Scheme - Operational
Construction of the Upper Ringarooma Irrigation Scheme was completed on time on 29 June 2015. Following filling of the Dunns Creek Dam the delivery of first irrigation supplies commenced on 1 November 2015.
Design and constructing of the 6,680 ML Dunns Creek Dam was completed by Shaw Contracting (Aust) Pty Ltd; and VEC Civil Engineering Pty Ltd completed design and constructing of the network of 38.5km of buried distribution pipeline and two pump stations. High density polyethylene pipeline used in the distribution system was manufactured and supplied by Zezt Pty Ltd
Water supplied in the district will be taken into storage in Dunns Creek dam with reliability under-pinned by supplementary pumping from the Ringarooma River during years of low rainfall. Water will be delivered throughout the district by distribution pipelines and by the Ringarooma River. Water in the distribution pipelines will be pressurised at two sites; the Dunns Creek Pump Station and Cottons Bridge Pump Station
The district services pasture and cropping land around the townships of Ringarooma, Legerwood, Branxholm, Alberton, New River, Talawa and Forsyth Hill.
Production in the area includes dairy, potatoes, vegetables (processed and fresh), poppies, wheat and pasture for livestock finishing.
The scheme has the capacity to supply 5,700ML of water over a nominal delivery period during the 150-day summer irrigation season. Depending on rainfall, additional water may be able to be supplied by the scheme outside the irrigation season.
Overview / Pricing / Maps
- 2016-17 Scheme Overview Download PDF (1 MB)
- Water Charges 2016-17 Download PDF (101 KB)
- News Article - North Eastern Advertiser Download PDF (2 MB)
- Public Briefing 2013 Download PDF (826 KB)
- Water Entitlements Register - Irrigation Rights Download PDF (225 KB)
- Water Entitlements Register - Zoned Flow Delivery Rights Download PDF (233 KB)
- Russell McDougall (Scheme Manager)
- Stan Cox (Irrigation Group Chairperson)