- Tasmanian Irrigation maintains a register of all entitlements in each district. Tl must comply with water license conditions imposed by DPIPWE for the delivery or harvest of water from specific watercourses. Other irrigation schemes are self-managed by local water entities.
- DPIPWE (Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment) have overall responsibility for management and regulation of the river systems and compliance under the Water Management Act 1999. This site has links to other sites dealing with water management. It also provides a portal to a Water Information map showing flows, discharges and capacities for many sites around Tasmania.
- manages an extensive network of modified lakes, rivers, streams and canals in the hydro-electric catchments. It has a special license to take water for power generation and also provides water for irrigation.
- has responsibility for the provision of drinking water and sewerage services. For further information on Tasmania's urban water and sewerage industry structure and regulation, please see
- The regulate the quality of drinking water from public systems. This includes on ensuring the safety of rural drinking water supplies (eg rainwater tanks, groundwater bores and farm dams.
- The regulates sewage treatment plants and offers guidance on wastewater issues. The EPA is also responsible for water quality measures, and to address any problems associated with water pollution. The following links may also be useful:
- Click for information about wastewater
- Click for information about the use of recycled water
- Click for information about on-site waste water management systems
The EPA also aims to
- ANCOLD is an Australian based industry body that focuses on disseminating knowledge, developing capability and providing guidance for all aspects of dam engineering, management and associated issues.
- Tasmanian Irrigation is a corporate member of the Australian Water Association. This is Australia’s biggest water network promoting sustainable water management.
Water Testing Facilities
These laboratories can carry out tests on water samples. Please contact them for specifications and the fees that apply:
- Water Microbiology Laboratory, 165, Westbury Road, Prospect 7250. Tel: 03 6777-2097
- Analytical Services Tasmania 18, St Johns Avenue, New Town 7008. Tel: 03 6165-3300
Tasmanian Natural Resource Management
These groups in the North, South and Cradle Coast areas work to prevent waterway decline resulting from poor land and waterway management. Advice and incentives for riparian land management and streamside restoration is available in some areas.
Contact your local NRM group:
- NRM South: www.nrmsouth.org.au
- NRM North: www.nrmnorth.org.au
- Cradle Coast NRM: www.cradlecoastnrm.com
Elizabeth Macquarie Irrigation Trust
Contact: Jan Davis, Scheme Manager
PO Box 3, Ross, Tasmania, 7209
M: 0409 004 228