Irrigation rights confer entitlements to have an allocation of water made available for delivery during each irrigation season of an irrigation district. The entitlement arising under irrigation rights is defined as a volume and denominated in megalitre (ML) units. The allocations made to irrigation rights for an irrigation season are calculated by multiplying:
- The entitlement held under irrigation rights on the opening day of the season; and
- The allocation percentage notified by Tasmanian Irrigation before the start of the season and any revision made to the allocation percentage during the season.
If revisions are made to the allocation percentage during a season, the resulting allocations will be made on the basis of the entitlement held under irrigation rights on the day the revision is notified. Where the system of delivery rights operates, irrigation rights do not provide secure rights to have water delivered but do so when held in conjunction with delivery rights.
Delivery rights confer entitlements to a share of the capacity of a scheme to deliver water within a zone during each irrigation season (or a delivery period of each irrigation season) of an irrigation district. The entitlement arising under delivery rights is defined as a flow rate and denominated in megalitre per day (ML/day) units.
Delivery rights provide assurance that capacity is available to deliver water at a set rate, when and to where it is required. Flow rate entitlements give certainty over the timing of supply and introduce a tradable product through which irrigators can plan water deliveries, manage seasonal risks and maximise the benefit of their entitlements.
The entitlements under irrigation rights and delivery rights are tradable within the district in which they are issued. Because water entitlements are separate from land, a person does not need to own land within a district to receive a transfer of water entitlements.
Detailed explanation of the Water Entitlements Register
Tasmanian Irrigation’s Water Entitlement Register is a list of all owners of water entitlements by scheme, and includes the following information:
- Entitlement Serial Number
- Customer name
- District is the gazetted Irrigation District
- Base Entitlement is the entitlement owned outright
- Current Entitlement is the Base entitlement +/- Limited Term transfers
- Allocation Percentage defines the allocation for the current season. Where there are shortages in supply, this may be reduced to less than 100 per cent of the current entitlement
- Base Allocation is the current entitlements +/- Allocation percentage
- Current Allocation is Base Allocation +/- Short Term (within season) transfers
The search can be filtered by District and/or Customer, or by clicking on the header of each list.
- Page 1: Irrigation Rights - which confer an entitlement to an annual volume in an irrigation district.
- Page 2: Delivery Right (ML/day) – which confers an entitlement to a portion of the delivery capacity of an irrigation district. Delivery Rights provide assurance that capacity is available to deliver water at a set rate, when and to where it is required. Delivery Rights can be viewed on page 2 of 5 of this register. Delivery Rights do not currently apply in the Greater Meander, Coal River (Stage 1) or South East Stage 2 Irrigation Districts.
- Page 3: Delivery Right (percentage of a scheme capacity) – which confers an entitlement to a portion of the delivery capacity of an irrigation district defined as a percentage of the scheme capacity.
- Page 4: Connection Points - a listing of registered connections and active outlet numbers.
- Page 5: Frequently asked questions
Please click on the following link to access the Water Entitlements Register